Computer Programming Learning Units
Unit 1. Block Programming - Learn Coding through Puzzles and Art Robots
Grade Objective - Complete all levels of puzzles.
Unit 2. Construct 2
1. Follow the tutorials below to create three different games.
2. Improve these games by substituting your own graphics, adding sound effects or adding new levels.
Here is a tutorial for how to add sounds.
|Download resources - images and sounds|
|List of links to other graphic packages||
a. Asteroids - shooter game
b. Mario Bros - Platform Game
c. Angry Birds - Physics Game
d. Airplane Shooter Game
e. Space Asteroids
g. Memory Match
i. Flappy Bird
j. Save the Monkeys
k. Tower Defense Game
Make a timer
Pathfinding - making your enemies smarter
Make a fancy lifebar
Game Maps - Revealing Secrets
Make a ladder for a platform game
More Advanced Enhancements
Create a radar screen to track enemies
Move your game to an iPad
How to save a game
Wall jumping in platform games
Double Jump in Platforms
More about physics effects
Keep track of high scores
Unit 3. App Inventor - Use Block Programming to Create Android Phone Applications
Part 1 - Introduction Apps.
Create all four of the apps in the following link
Part 2 - Choose 3 or more
Select at least one app from each category and create it according to the instructions. Each category will show you a different type of app that you can create with Android.
A. Graphical Games
- Pong - http://www.mybigcampus.com/bundles/app-inventor-pong---373022/content
- Whack a Mole - http://www.mybigcampus.com/bundles/app-inventor-whack-a-mole---373027
- Shooter Game - http://www.mybigcampus.com/bundles/app-inventor-shooter-game---373033
B. App Interface Items
- Painter App - http://www.mybigcampus.com/bundles/app-inventor-paint-a-photo---373011
- President's Quiz - http://www.mybigcampus.com/bundles/app-inventor-president-quiz---373075
- "I have a dream" app http://www.mybigcampus.com/bundles/app-inventor-i-have-a-dream---373006
- Note Taker - http://www.mybigcampus.com/bundles/app-inventor-notetaker---373122
C. Web Connection Programs
- Web Viewer - http://www.mybigcampus.com/library/202102
- Twitter - http://www.mybigcampus.com/library/202108
Step 3 - Create your own app
Design your own game or utility. Use what you learned in the previous links. Improve them. Add another level of difficulty. Combine one or more functions from several lessons to make your own app.
Unit 4. Mindstorms - Build Lego Robots and Program them with Block Programming
1. Choose one of the designs listed in the link above.
2. Build the model and program it exactly as the instructions show.
3. Make your own modifications to the physical design and to the program to make the robot do something better. For example, instead of just following a straight line, build a robot that can follow criss-cross lines. Or improve the ball coaster to have two tracks - one track to send the red ball and the blue ball on another track.
4. Record and edit a video that shows (1) the first design of your model (2) a view of the program on the computer screen with an explanation of what it does (3) the changes you made to improve the robot.
Mindstorm Grade Scale
- The Mindstorms robotic challenge is an extra credit grade since not everyone in the class will have time to participate.
- You may work with one or two other people.
- Near the end of the school year, the class will view all the robot project videos and vote on the most inventive design changes.
- D = Build something but lacks ability to work.
- C = Build one of the units listed in the link above.
- B = Make a modification in the physical design and the programming. Customize it to do something better or different.
- A = Create a video documenting the original project and an explanation of the improvements you made.
b. Code Academy
Unit 6. HTML and CSS
Unit 7. PHP
a. Process forms
b. Store and retrieve data from SQL databases
c. Use PHP to interact with mobile apps (app inventor)
Unit 8. Visual Basic
Unit 9. C#
Unit 10. Java for Android apps