I. Kahn Academy - Learn Coding
Follow the Khan Academy lessons in a booklet here
Go to Khan Academy programming here - Khan Academy Intro to JS: Drawing and Animation
II. Create three of your own video games in the Khan code editor
A. Dot Chaser
or use the videos on the M: drive at school if you cannot access YouTube.
B. Building Bomber
Create this classic game without the aid of tutorial.
Use the examples you learned in the previous tutorials to
1. get keyboard input
2. create a player object
3. update objects in the draw loop
4. detect collisions
5. detect out-of-bounds conditions
6. keep score
D. FBLA Challenge
Create a 1980's style arcade game - Frogger, PacMan, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Centipede, Galaxia for a few suggestions. Participate in the FBLA state leadership conference and submit this game for competitive review.
III. How to transfer your game to a standard web browser
1. Copy and paste the following code into a text editor (NotePad++)
2. Change the size(400,400) on line 12 to make your game larger
3. Update some of your graphic image commands using the advice below the code block.
4. Save your file with an HTML or HTM extension and open it with your favorite web browser. No internet service will be required.
Some changes you will have to make to your code once it is out of Khan's editor...
1. Use direct reference to images rather than store them in a variable. For example
var AirPlaneImage = getImage("space/beetleship");
2. Sounds don't seem to work well either.
3. You can customize the size of the screen on line 12.
In your program, if you used the number 400 in any calculation, you should change it to the variable height.